Ensuring a successful cook on a griddle’s cooktop involves one of the most crucial steps: seasoning. By doing this simple seasoning process, the cooktop becomes naturally nonstick, enhances flavor, and prevents excess moisture from causing rust.
Make sure all internal components have been properly installed prior to the seasoning process and that there is no food on the Flat Top Grill during seasoning.
1. With the main power switch set to OFF (o), plug the power cord into an appropriate grounded electrical outlet.
2. Turn the main power switch on the back of the Flat Top Grill to ON (I). The power switch will illuminate when turned on.
3. Preheat the Flat Top Grill on high for 10 minutes.
4. Once the Flat Top Grill is hot, squeeze about 2-3 tbsp of the conditioner or your oil over the cooktop in a zigzag pattern, covering the entire cooktop.
5. Using tongs clasping a clean towel or paper towel, spread the conditioner evenly over the surface and up the sides. It will immediately begin to smoke. Using a clean side of the towel, wipe off any excess conditioner or oil to create a very thin layer.
6. Continue heating until the smoking ends—about 10 minutes.
If this is your first time seasoning your grill: leave the heat on high and repeat steps 4-6 four times. You will find that the surface will become darker and smoother.
7. Allow the grill to cool for at least 30 minutes before cooking or storing. Allowing the cooktop to cool before cooking on it allows the polymerization that is the result of seasoning to set, creating a longer-lasting and more durable non-stick surface.
You'll need to season your grill before using it for the first time. You will also want to re-season it after or before each cook. For ease, we recommend re-seasoning in conjunction with cleaning it after each cook.
First-time seasoning, including preheat and cooldown time, will take just over an hour.
Re-seasoning, including preheat, will take about 25 minutes.
Discover everything you want to know about the Flatrock™ flat top grill. Learn more about what separates the Flatrock™ from the competition, why we made it, and the countless griddle recipes you can cook on it.