The competition has got nothin’ on these spare ribs. Seasoned with Traeger Pork & Poultry Rub, then wrapped with sweet brown sugar and honey, these racks pack some serious flavor. Master your rib game with our how-to guide below.
1. With meat side down, use paper towel to peel off silver skin.
2. Shave off any excess fat.
3. Using your hands, straighten out rib bones so they are aligned with each other. Find the highest rib in the rack—usually 3rd or 4th bone. From top of that bone, cut along the edge to square.
4. Cut off skinny end of the rack that you won’t be using to make a uniform rack.
5. Cut off the first rib, alongside the bone at the end, so that the ribs end on meat and not bone.
6. Push down on ribs and trim any excess meat.
7. Trim extra fat off top.
1. Spritz the ribs with apple juice—this will allow rub to adhere properly.
2. Place ribs meat-side down. Sprinkle with Traeger Pork & Poultry Rub. Spritz ribs with apple juice again and set aside until the surface becomes moist—approx. 5 minutes.
3. Wrap each rack of ribs tightly with plastic wrap. Refrigerate ribs for 2-4 hours prior to grilling.
1. Preheat Traeger to 225°F and activate the Super Smoke setting if using a WiFIRE-enabled grill.
2. Place ribs directly onto grill grate and spritz ribs with apple juice every half hour for approximately 4 hours (160°F internal temperature).
3. When ribs have reached 160°F, prepare double layer of aluminum foil with a layer of honey drizzled on it, brown sugar, and butter. Place ribs meat-side down and directly on top of ingredients on the foil.
4. Add another layer of honey, brown sugar, and butter directly on top of the ribs.
5. Tightly and neatly fold over end edges of the foil to seal in the ribs, leaving one of the ends open. Pour ½ cup of apple juice into open end and then seal completely.
6. Increase grill temperature to 275°F.
7. Return foiled ribs to the grill and cook until the internal temp of ribs is 204°F.
8. Carefully remove the ribs from the foil and place directly on grill grate. Sauce the ribs with 50/50 blend of Texas Spicy Sauce and Apricot Sauce and let them cook an additional 5 minutes to allow sauce to set.
9. Remove from grill. Let rest uncovered for 10 minutes before serving.
Experience the evolution of fire with Traeger's next generation of wood pellet grills.Shop Now
Take command of your grill from the couch, or on-the-go with the Traeger App. And with hundreds of recipes available, inspiration is just a tap away.Get the app